S’mores are for campfires but these great and earthy gluten free chocolate chip cookies filled with marshmallows and loaded with dark chocolate chips could be an every day feast. Or at least a holiday on their own. These are the best cookies you will make, and the easiest. You can make them only using your food processor, and are packed with 100% almond flour.
If you don’t tell the hopefuls tasting your baking adventures that these beauties are gluten free, dairy free and made with almond flour, they will never guess. Trust me. They will be solely focused on the gooeyness happening on every bite, as they happily munch away a couple at a time alook for the graham cracker surprise. Yup. You heard it. There’s also gluten free graham cracker dough hidden from within these. (Note: skip the graham cracker dough for a paleo treat!)
If you have kids, these are the perfect treat to make everyone happy at school. Plus, you are sure you are giving away a wholesome dessert made with real ingredients.
- For the gluten free cookie dough:
- ¼ cup palm shortening or butter
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate pieces
- ¼ cup of gluten free graham walnut crackers dough (see below)
- 6 vegan marshmallows sliced in forths
- For the gluten free walnut graham cracker cookie dough (you can freeze for up to 1 month the left overs):
- 3 tablespoons palm shortening or butter
- ½ cup walnut halves
- ¾ cups brown rice flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1.5 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Make the gluten free walnut graham cracker dough first. In a food processor, blend the walnuts until they look like a meal or flour. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until well combined. Refrigerate for one hour (must be hard enough to make little balls).
- Next, the gluten free cookie dough.
- In the food processor, blend the butter or palm oil with the sugar, the maple syrup and the egg. Add the vanilla and pulse slightly. Now add the almond flour, the coconut flour, baking soda, salt. Pulse or process in low setting until well combined.
- Make small cookie dough balls with the gluten free walnut graham crackers. Fold with a spatula into the cookie dough batter. Add the chocolate chips and fold again. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Assembly. Make small circles with the cookie dough, and then sandwich a slice of the marshmallow in between. Make sure the marshmallow is properly sealed in. Use more dough if you don’t want the marshmallow to come out at all during baking.
- Set finished cookies on a sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes.