I’m a lover of pizza, but I’m also a lover of my free time and happy tummy! This gluten free pizza crust recipe is not only amazingly simple to make (no yeast, no proofing, no worries) but also paleo or grain free, dairy free, and egg free.
I’m trying to eat less animal protein these days (and dairy and I have never gotten along too well to begin with), so when I found this recipe and I was able to exclude the eggs, I was in pizza crust delight heaven.
When to do this gluten free pizza? We love to make it on Sunday nights…when we feel a little bit lazy and we are getting ready to watch HBO or Chopped or (sigh) Ink Master. There’s something magical about the smell of something baking in the kitchen, that is relaxing and welcoming. Plus, if you are surrounded by college football fans, this is a great, slightly healthier, snack that nobody can really complain about.
So far we have done a few versions of this one. We did it cheese-free with fresh pesto (just process 1 cup of fresh basil, 1/4 cup of pine nuts, sea salt to taste and 2 tablespoons of olive oil), and also with spinach, tomatoes, and a little bit of goat cheese and basil (pictured here).
You might see this recipe soon again! I’ve been playing around with a savory and sweet version – peaches, pecans, and kale.
- 2 packed cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot
- 1½ Tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. of flax seeds in 9 Tbsp. of warm water (let the seeds rest in the water for at least 5 minutes)
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- ½ Tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven at 425 degrees as you line an 8-inch cake pan or a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients first, then add the flax seeds with the water, the almond milk, the coconut oil and the vinegar. Whisk well until blended.
- Drop the batter onto the parchment paper. The batter will be very wet. That’s ok. Get a second sheet of parchment paper to set on top of the batter and with a rolling pin or just your hands, push down until flat and pretty. Make sure the batter is evenly distributed. Then lift the top parchment paper.
- The crust will bake in the oven for at least 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and add your favorite ingredients (here we put spinach, grape tomatoes, basil and a little bit of goat cheese and olive oil and oregano). Then put back into the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the crust is golden or cooked to your liking.
- Let it cool down for 5 minutes and serve.
Enjoy! And please drop a comment or a line to tell me how it turned out.