This Gluten Free Coconut Chicken Soup with Sriracha is also dairy free, and carries the incredible taste of ginger in a non-dairy broth that is low in calories. Yup. You heard it right! 300 calories per serving!
Most coconut cream soups carry many many extra calories – which I usually didn’t mind, but now I do as we have money on the line! So the solution was to thin the coconut milk with almond milk and save almost half the calories per serving (another good option is to add water or extra broth).
If you are extremely sensitive to gluten I recommend you prepare your own home-made version of sriracha sauce, which is quite delicious (see recipe by going to Nom Nom Paleo’s blog). If you have some wiggle room, and you like the taste, the store bought version does just fine (I add 1 tiny drop, so I’m ok with this brand, but if I were a huge fan I would probably be making and bottling it in my kitchen).
I’m also a fan of the addition of veggies such as bok choy and mushrooms, and you can probably also include spinach, too, if you have it handy.
The 10-pound challenge was off to a great week, and I discovered I am indeed a huge fan of Red Zone (www.redzonegables.com). I tried also a spinning class at 6:15am and though I was half awake I marveled (quite) at the fact that I was done and showered by 7:45a. Just in time to walk Crispy, put the heels on, and head to work.
- 1 medium onion, chopped and sliced
- 4-5 tsp of ginger (to taste)
- kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 tsp of green curry paste
- ½ pound of chicken
- ½ can of coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 head raw bok choi
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- Sriracha to taste
- Please make sure all ingredients are gluten free.
- In a large pot, pan fry the onions with the ginger until the onions are slightly transparent and golden. Add the kosher salt, the chicken broth, the curry paste and the chicken. In about 8-10 minutes, when the chicken is fully cooked, remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Do not incorporate it back yet.
- In the pot, add the coconut and almond milk, the mushrooms and the bok choy (sliced/shredded). Once it starts to bubble, add the shredded chicken, stir, and serve.
- Garnish with a lime and cilantro.