I was super excited to try to make gluten free rice crispy treats. For a variety of reasons. 1) Our almost 7-month old puppy is named Crispy; 2) It was one of my favorite new “American” snacks when I came to the US and I couldn’t believe you can actually make them at home!; 3) Pure deliciousness in just three ingredients (chocolate chips optional).
I added my own special twist with a super-quick, maple icing (2 tbsp of maple syrup, 2 tbsp water, and 2 tbsp powdered sugar), which added a pretty cool hint of color for the pictures (and yes, Crispy actually wanted to lick it all). I also added 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips, which melt super nicely once the hot coconut oil and marshmallows gooey mess gets dropped in. I also thought there were pretty good recipes out there that added pecans, walnuts and dried cranberries to the main mix.
As always, make sure all ingredients are gluten free, and that you are super careful in the preparation. I got my gluten free puffed rice cereal at Whole Foods, and I liked it so much that I am still eating it for breakfast, with some yummy home-made almond milk (recipe here).
Each gluten free rice crispy treat, minus the icing, is 120 calories.
What was your favorite snack growing up?
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal (GF)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or similar
- Line with parchment paper an 8x8 pan. Set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in a large sauce pan over low heat. Add marshmallows. Stir constantly. Cook for at least 2 minutes or until melted. Remove from heat immediately.
- Add the puffed rice cereal. Stir fast and well until well mixed.
- Press down with a spatula over lined pan. Cut into 16 squares when cool.